The Australian Banking Association (ABA) has a list of phone numbers and websites for contacting the financial hardship teams at each bank:
The Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) has set up a dedicated online bushfire support hub with information about financial recovery:
ANZ Bank customers
ANZ recently made a financial relief package available for customers affected by devastating bushfires across the nation with many homes, properties and livestock already destroyed.
While the immediate focus needs to be on their safety, ANZ encouraged customers affected by the fires to contact the bank when appropriate so they could discuss how to access measures in the financial relief package, including:
- The ability to suspend repayments on loans, including credit cards, for up to three months (which may include interest capitalisation)
- Temporary interest rate relief on lending for customers experiencing extreme financial distress in areas impacted by the fires
- Waiving of fees associated with restructuring business loans considered necessary due to bushfire impacts
- Access to term deposits early without incurring any fees
- Assistance for affected customers with ANZ Home and Contents insurance as they may be eligible for measures such as emergency funds and temporary accommodation.
Customers can also contact ANZ’s dedicated financial hardship team on 1800 149 549 or anz.com/hardship. They are also encouraged to contact their relationship manager to discuss the impact on their business or personal circumstances.
(Source: ANZ website)
An emergency assistance package is available for Commonwealth Bank customers affected by bushfires around Australia.
CommBank Emergency assistance package
(Source: CBA website)
Westpac Banking Group (Bank of Melbourne, St George) customers
Westpac Group today has announced that its Disaster Relief Package is available to customers who are facing financial hardship following severe bushfires in NSW and Victoria. The Package is also available to Bank of Melbourne and St.George customers who are impacted by the fires.
The Westpac Disaster Relief Package offers various options*, including the following:
- Impacted customers with Westpac home loans may apply to defer repayments for up to three months;
- Affected businesses can request loan restructuring without incurring the usual bank fees such as establishment fees and break costs;
- Customers wishing to purchase replacement goods may apply for a personal loan at a discounted interest rate with no establishment fee;
- Westpac may waive interest rate adjustments for affected customers wishing to withdraw term deposits; and
- Impacted Westpac customers with Home and Contents insurance may be eligible to receive assistance under the terms of their insurance policies for emergency accommodation.
Westpac customers who wish to use these special relief measures or need assistance should contact Westpac Assist on phone 1800 067 497, or alternatively call their local Bank Manager. This offer is available for customers to take up within three months of today’s date.
(Source: Westpac website)
Bendigo Bank customers
Bendigo Bank has announced a Bushfire assistance package.
The key features of the Assistance Package for bushfire affected customers include:
- Home Loan and Business Loan customers can apply for relief on loans for up to three months
- Credit card customers can apply for an emergency credit card limit increase
- Discounted interest rates on new personal loans taken out by existing Bendigo Bank customers
- Waiver of interest rate reduction for early withdrawals on term deposits prior to maturity
- No ‘loan break’ costs for customers with a fixed rate who use an insurance payment to pay out their loan
- Existing customers with home and contents insured through CGU Insurance can apply for emergency funds and temporary accommodation costs
Affected Bendigo Bank customers are advised to speak with their local Branch Manager, Business Banking Manager or contact our Mortgage Help Centre on 1300 652 146 regarding financial hardship and applying for assistance, or visit our help page.
(Source: Bendigo Bank website)
Latitude Financial has set up a dedicated assistance line for customers affected by the bushfires: 1300 858 151 | 9:00am-5:00pm (AEDT) Monday to Friday.
(Source: Latitude website)